Wednesday, November 22, 2006

My law school yearbook writeup

Phew. The past four years have gone by so fast in a blur of deadlines and whatnot. It seems so surreal that we’re submitting yearbook writeups and having our graduation pictures taken again. It seems like I just did that for college yesterday. Anyway, here's what I wrote. Tell me what you think.

I’ve always had this dream to write the next great novel, a revolutionary treatise on life or love or one of those abstract notions that I love to ponder about when I have more than a split-second between two or more impossible deadlines. Twenty-three years into my relatively very eventful life, and I have nothing to show for this dream, not even a blank piece of paper that I intend to be the canvas for my intended work of art. Well, not exactly. I just haven't had time to sit down and let the novel write itself. Something always gets in the way. So. Why am I in law school? Four years ago, if you’d asked me that question, I would have said that first, I don’t want to work yet, and second and more importantly, I can’t imagine myself doing anything else. Both still hold true, although the second I now say with a lot less conviction than I had back then. Let’s just say I’ve never wanted to run away and become a starving writer in Paris as much as I do now. I do love the pressure though. I relish the torture, in spite of all my whining and complaining. It's your classic love-hate relationship, which essentially sets apart everything and everyone I love from the rest of the smörgåsbord. Can't live with them (sometimes); can't live without them. And though I may not look back on my law school experience with such nostalgia as I do the years I spent in college, I bear no regrets about the choices I’ve made, even the inexplicably dim-witted ones. And I still cannot imagine myself doing anything else. Except maybe actually becoming a lawyer instead of just being in law school.

Member, UP Women in Law 2003 – present
Vice President for Finance, UP Women in Law, 2005 -2006

No comments:

Post a Comment