Saturday, December 18, 2010

Weddings and holidays

Christmas somehow tends to bring out the best and the worst that Manila has to offer. On one hand, the temperature drops, and the normally searing heat of urban decay becomes more bearable. Christmas trees, lights, Santa figures and sleighs come out, and carols play everywhere. The spirit of Christmas even makes work seem more enjoyable than usual. On the other hand, traffic comes to a virtual standstill with the deluge of millions of shoppers rushing to meet their self-imposed deadlines. Today, for instance, it took us more than two hours to get from Padre Faura to Kalayaan in Quezon City. Que perdido de tiempo. 

The flipside of the horrible horrible holiday traffic is I got to spend time with two of my favorite people in the world: Chi and Ngangi. (Uuuuy flattered! May bayad na 'to ha.) I'm oddly relieved they're both moving back to Manila after something like three years in Singapore. These two gremlins are like sisters to me, and I'm really happy they're back. Ngangi now has a place of her own, although it's not yet fully paid, and is now vice president (Ngangs, pinagkakalat ko na ha.) of one of the biggest BPO's here. Galing, diba? I'm so happy for her. She deserves everything she's accomplished. (Clap clap clap.) 

I met Ngangi the summer before my sophomore year in college,  and she was in the AJSS program at the Ateneo. She took over Tanya's corner for the summer, and I was equally shocked and impressed to see someone reading the classics for fun. A year later, Ngangi moved into Eliazo and became a regular visitor in Room 305, then in Unit 403 at that little hole in the wall behind Pizza Hut that we rented for a year, then Unit 615 in Prince David. I saw her struggle to find her sea legs in her first few years out of college. I saw her scared and heartbroken, and stressed over her move to Singapore. Well, Ngangi and Buyang are back, and they now have a home to call their own. 

As for Chi, well. What can I say. First, she's insane. Second, she's gotten me into trouble so many times. Third, she's seen me through my innumerable life crises and mood swings, and we're still friends. One simply cannot put a price tag on a friendship that has survived having to clean up someone else's puke, with Carmi and I passed out drunk and involuntarily puking on ourselves on the floor of Tanya's condo after having shared an entire bottle of tequila. I don't think any of us have ever even considered eating Chicharitos after THAT episode. 

I remember this conversation we had in a cab on our way back home from Eastwood a few years back. We said, the best thing about our friendship is we never feel compelled to talk. It's such a shame we lost touch with Tanya and Carmi after college. I'm really happy though that in the midst of kicking unwanted roommates and bouts of family drama, Chi and I are still friends.

A few hours from now, we'll be hosting Chi's bachelorette party, a little less than two weeks before the big wedding. I generally don't believe in marriage, but I think this one will be different. This one will most definitely work. I don't think I've seen two people more perfect for each other. And of all the weddings I've been to, this is the one I'm most proud to be part of. Maybe it's because both these crazy kids are good friends of mine, and despite what other people may say, they're both good people, and I know for a fact that they really sincerely love each other. Of course I'm extremely biased, because I've been rooting for these crazy kids from day one. =p

So anyway, have to go sleep now. My errand list this month just keeps on growing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment