Wednesday, September 28, 2005

On relationships et al.

Hay relationships. Sometimes I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, or even if it even classifies as a thing, that I'm unattached to anybody in particular, i.e. single, not "in a relationship", however you'd prefer to call the evaders of the L-word. Well, maybe not the L-word, maybe just relationships. There's just so much to it. The first part's fun, but it gets old, and sometimes its just downright boring and tedious and cumbersome and all that crap.

First you meet a guy. Sometimes you just know there's something, sometimes, you're just practically oblivious to the fact that he exists. And then you get to know him, maybe a few official dates. May also be unofficial. You just happen to be together someplace. Or maybe by some weird twist of fate, you just somehow end up at the same place at the same time. (In my case, it was more like I was set up pala but I didn't figure it out til much later. Oblivious. Naive. Whatever you want to call it.) Then you get weird feelings and shit. The tingly sort and all. Whoever denies it is lying. You feel like "Ohmigod." Just that. Nothing more. Just ohmigod. And leave it at that. You don't really like him naman din kasi. Ok lang, flattering, but just ok. Nothing special. Just the run of the mill kinda hanging out thing. And then stuff starts to happen. He texts you the oddest things at the oddest moments. He invites you out with friends but spends most of the time talking to you. You kinda figure he likes you a teeny bit more than other girls because of the extra attention but you don't want to assume anything. You start to get the hang of the whole attention thing, but still no fireworks. But the kilig starts to grow. Next thing you know you look forward to seeing him the next day or find yourself checking your phone every 10 seconds to see if he texted. Still no fireworks. Then he starts inviting you out to a movie or to dinner, just the two of you. And you have fun. But it doesn't feel like you're just hanging out with a friend. You're comfortable with him but it's different. You start going out together more often, texting, chatting and talking on the phone regularly. You're by now familiar with each other's schedule by heart. You really like him na and you're just waiting for him to pop the question. When he does, it's just magic.

The first few months are just heaven. You're perpetually giddy and live from one date to the next. Well, not really. You just really look forward to seeing him after (or before. or in the middle of) a really long day. You start doing everything together, and everything's different.

A few months later, things begin to change. Every now and then, the routine seems to get boring. You find yourself getting tired of doing the same things. You start to fight over the smallest things. Every so often, you consider the thought of breaking up, and occasionally you do, but you somehow always end up realizing that that's not really what you want either. These fits come and go. For some people I know more often than others. And man, when they start ranting, it's hilarious!

As for me, I had my share of hissy fits, but I really appreciate the little things, which I find really sweet. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I mean, I like the occasional grand gesture, but I'd take a hug over a long litany about the moon and the stars any day of the week, if you know what I mean. =p Although relationships in general don't run themselves, in the end, just knowing that someone affirms your existence and that you affirm his, and the whole extravaganza that comes with it, is worth it. Really. And although sometimes it just doesn't work out, I still think relationships are not more trouble than they're worth. They're trouble sometimes, but a little excitement never hurt anybody anyway.

AND A FEW THOUGHTS FROM HERE AND THERE...

I was actually concious at 7:30 this morning, (bow) thank you very much. I'm making up for all the work I should have done but didn't do during the sem by giving myself hell for the next 3 weeks. I was up bright and early for a pre-Evidence and PIL study session with Mario in Starbucks. Nobody interesting there though.

I'm officially turning my finals effort full blast tomorrow after IPL class. I'm not sure if I'm cutting Transpo to go to Coffee Bean Eastwood. But I'm leaning more towards a Tall Double Vanilla Tea Latte. Hehe!

The only two professors I ever remember clapping for at the end of the sem were Prof. Te (Crim 1, Crim 2, Civ Pro, Evidence. Phew!) and Prof. Diaz. (Crim Pro), and they well deserved it. Prof. Te especially. In this day and age, and soon to be profession where honesty, integrity and morals seem to have been reduced to accessories people can shed in a heartbeat, it's heartwarming to know that there are lawyers/professors who are successful by conventional standards yet are still essentially good people; who go to mass and pray, and are not ashamed of it, and actually tell students to pray before going to court; who have a heart and put their heart into their work, And at the very least seem to care. In theory though, I'd clap for Ma'am Beth too. I think I was too terrified to clap for her the last day of Persons class. Ma'am Daway was really nice din.

Hay. Well. Here's to my fifth semester in law school. Which is still not over. 3 weeks of hell to go. Hey, I'm going to be holed up in Starbucks Katipunan or Coffee Bean Eastwood (or if I'm pulling an all-nighter, probably McDo Eastwood). If anyone wants to join me in my effort to pass, just text. Anyway, I'm off to, um, binge. I want a warm mug of Swiss Miss. There's a humongous tub of it in the condo. Yum yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment