Thursday, January 27, 2005

Why I am never walking around U.P. after dark again

Of all the luck in the world... Last night was the only time I went to Property class without my trusty sidekick Oggs. And last night was the first night I had to walk alone in the dark from Malcolm to the jeepney stop because I couldn't get a cab from the sidestreet. It was really, and I mean REALLY dark, and the only people around were, well, let's just say preoccupied with themselves in the Sunken Garden. Thing is, I'm not normally such a scaredy cat, but for some reason, maybe because I was wearing a skirt, and it was past 9pm, really dark, and in U.P., that godforsaken campus. Anyway, I was trying to walk as fast as I could in my new white sandals that were never made for long distance travel on foot, when I noticed this oily dark guy of average height eyeing me from across the street somewhere around the Econ to BAA stretch. He crossed the street diagonally from the little store, threw away his half-burned cigarette and walked towards me, and, of all the gimmicks of evil people nowadays, asked for the time in this really suspicious voice, and started moving closer. Good thing I didn't stop to think of whether or not this guy was REALLY asking for the time though. I practically ran to the better-lit jeepney stop where there were people standing in line. I remember him telling me not to be scared, blah blah. Well, who cares? Who the hell crosses the street diagonally in the middle of the night to ask for the time from a girl walking alone when there were more people on the other side of the street? I don't even want to think about it. I was just in a state of shock and panic all the way home. I was still shaking when I got home. I mean, nothing REALLY happened, but it was a close call. It was like that time when Chi and I had the unfortunate experience of riding a cab home with a sex-crazed taxi driver who would NOT stop talking about his sexcapades with passengers. Shit, that time talaga, we went down na even before we got to the dorm. I couldn't even walk after. I just cried because I felt so dirty. Nothing happened, really, but it's just so degrading. This time around, I learned my lesson. I am NOT going to Property class and walking alone in the dark in U.P. ever again. If Oggs cuts, I cut. Para if ever we get held up, I'll leave him to the evil people's mercy and run for my life. I'll call the police or whoever, of course, but after I save myself. Hehe! Nah. Just kidding. Lesson learned. Never walk alone around U.P. after dark. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment