Sunday, October 16, 2005

The end of the longest losing battle of my life.

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who took the time to affirm my uh, talents. =p

This has been the longest semester of my entire life. By far. I'm so tired and worn out and burned out and all of that. I just hibernated for a day and it still isn't enough for me to recoup what I lost during the sem: my sanity, my peace of mind... If I could sue UP Law for moral damages, I would. Hello?!! Sleepless nights, besmirched reputation? How many hours of sleep have I lost?!!! Well, apparently, not enough. I think I'm just about to get kicked out.

This sem started out with yours truly working my ass off trying to raise funds for Winlaw. It's a thankless job, but it was my duty. I started contacting alumnae early in the summer while I was working with Picazo. After months of constantly worrying about whether or not I was going to be able to meet my target, I finally was able to smile. The barristers would have their goody bags and flowers.

And then there was September. The month when I had zero weekends and zero time to spare. Weekdays, as if they weren't hectic enough with law school, Mario and I had to huddle over preparing the goody bags and other Barops-related work. Saturdays after Tax, we had to rush over to Q.Ave. to do last-minute fruit shopping, traipse through the puddle-ey alleys of Dangwa to pick up the roses, then stay up til mid-morning on Sunday attending to deliveries and buying food and manning the HQ. I'd sleep til Sunday afternoon then study whatever I could for Monday's Nego-PIL tag team. The week would go by, same pattern. For a month. And when we breathed our last breath in Sheraton, it was time to take the finals.

Like I said, this has been the longest sem of my life. Literally and figuratively speaking. We started finals early with Nego. It's been about two weeks, and I firmly believe I've taken and failed IPL, PIL, and Tax finals. I thought I passed Nego finals, but I was wrong. JJ just emailed us our grades today, and they all suck. Nobody got higher than a 2.25, from what I gather. Professors hate our block, I swear. We all thought Nego would pull up our grades, but apparently, we were all wrong. If I failed a final exam that I thought was pretty goddamned easy compared to the other exams I took, how could I possibly pass the rest? I got a 2.5 final grade for Nego. That's all because I got a 1.5 recitation grade. I flunked both midterms and finals. Plus 5 absences. Gawd. I have no idea how I flunked. Man. This sucks.

Yesterday's Evidence moot court was humiliating. But we didn't exactly lose. Sir didn't grant relief to either party. No relief granted to our group as counsel for the plaintiff, but no relief granted either to the opposing group on their counterclaim. Oh well. In the criminal proceeding, no verdict was rendered, but thanks to the presumption of innocence, at least it was resolved. Prof. Theodore Te is one of the smartest and the most inspiring professors I've ever had. It was a pleasure being in 4 of his classes in law school. If ever I do get kicked out, at least, I'll have THAT in my pocket. It's just disheartening. This is what I've always wanted to do since I started seriously thinking about what I wanted to be, and I suck at it. Sometimes, I just want to cry, to scream at the world for being so mean to me. Why, God, why?!!

Well, there goes my sembreak. More sleepless nights to document to sue UP Law for moral damages. I'm off to take out my frustrations on the fridge. Not to eat what's in it, (which consists basically of air and water) but to clean it.

Like Nico said, the worst is yet to come. Finals season isn't over yet. There's still Transpo takehome finals and a Tax paper to contend with. By then, the grades will most probably be out. And I'll find out whether I'm still eligible for enrollment in law school. And there goes my peace of mind.

Reality does not bite. It clamps its teeth, draws and tears flesh from the bone, gnaws and crushes bone until there's nothing left but the memories of a battle long lost.

7 comments:

  1. Is law school really that bad? Or is it just the way you, um, *illustrate* it? Anyhow, if you think you did everything you could, it's gonna turn out fine. =)

    First of all, thank you so much to everyone who took the time to affirm my uh, talents. =p
    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi grace! i agree with you 100%. by far, this has been the most trying, the longest, the most difficult, the most exhausting sem ever. and it doesn't help that people around us don't cooperate :)
    but this is what i hold on to: what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger...
    the fact that we're still standing, that we can still write about it and laugh about it can only mean that we are survivors and it can only benefit us in the end. it will all boil down to which school produces the best lawyers, not because our teachers helped us a lot but because they left us alone to cope and manage on our own, hence, we lay the foundation for, and strengthen, our independence and our will to live.
    hence, we fight another day. see you next sem!!!!
    ps. jj gave me a 2.5 as well. and at that, he already considered the fact that i never absented myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're in the same boat. this semester has been the worst and i have a feeling the next semester will not be any better. [hello cynicism].

    i thought i did decently for nego - i was so very wrong to think that. im probably being punished - for what - well im not sure yet. i felt like i was being punished all sem long. the environment got toxic & hostile. i learned that there are just some people and places i should stay away from [the hard way]. i felt completely demolished after every single final exam -save for evidence.

    although evidence was long, painful and just killed all my intentions of trying litigation in the future, it was nto as bad as everything else. i love that fact sir took the time to point out what we did right, and what we did wrong -to make sure we learned something i guess. [dont you just love him]

    transpo [which i should be working on right now] is hard - he expects us to use 3 blue books max - i forsee using one blue book for the entire thing. *sob* my brain isnt working anymore.

    and yes - the job of begging for money is tiring and thankless but necessary. :S

    here's to surviving this semester and the next. we really should adopt nico's mindset : that they'll have to drag us out of law school kicking screaming and drawing blood to get rid of us.

    haaaayyy

    ReplyDelete
  5. hay naku grace. got the same grade...and to think i was called around 8 times! and i was only absent once or twice at the most! i swear, he had to turn 100 *hole on us :)

    oh well, at least the sem is over. my transpo was really short....as in 1 page per Q, nothing at the back pages. ganun kaiksi. ayaw ko na. mas importante ang buhok ko! diyoskoday!

    dych

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see. And I thought that law school, [UP law school, that is] just consumes A LOT of time.

    It seems law school is really like that, huh: constantly defying the limitations of human capacity and sanity [48hours worth of workload in a day, bottomless readings,...], constantly challenging the laws of physics [at least two objects/tasks can and will occupy the same headspace,...]

    Or simply put, it consumes the *whole* person. More often than you would expect or want.

    For the next [3] sem[s], you may hope for the best yet prepare for the worst.

    But in the end – whether sooner or later – it will all be worth it. Always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. =) Really. Hay, I just hope I do ok, and that everything DOES pay off in the end. I'd really hate to think this is all for nothing.

    ReplyDelete